Library History

1859
Citizens of Fitchburg approve an article on the warrant requesting $1851 and quarters in the Town Hall for the first Fitchburg Public Library

1885
Rodney Wallace builds and furnishes the Wallace Library and Art Gallery at the corner of Main Street and Newton Place as a gift to the people of Fitchburg

1899
Library Service for children begins in one of the first Children's Rooms in the country

1950
The new Fitchburg Youth Library is opened

1953
Purchase of a bookmobile extends service to outlying areas

1962
The Fitchburg Public Library becomes the first regional library in the Massachusetts Regional Library System

1967
The new Wallace Library is dedicated. Named for George R. Wallace, Jr. and his wife Alice G. Wallace, who gave a magnificent gift for the library building. The federal Library Services and Construction Act and money from the City of Fitchburg also funded the project
The Helen E. Vickery Fund provides for a new bookmobile

1970
The Henry A. Willis Fund makes art prints available

1971
Sunday Library service is initiated

1972
Sunday Performing Art series begins

1980's
Circulation and then the Card Catalog are automated

1992
The CARL system, the present computer system for the Central & Western Massachusetts Regional Library Systems, is installed.

1993
New Bookmobile arrives

1996
The Internet comes to the library

2000
The Youth Library celebrates 50 years!
October--The Library Book Club begins

2002
The Library begins loaning DVDs

2007
We get wireless for our patrons with laptops

2012
The Library gets even newer Circulation software: "Evergreen"

 

6.18.12

 

 

Support the Library by becoming a
Friend of the FPL

Establish closer relations between the library and the people it serves, promote support of services, and ensure funding of several important services such as the museum pass program.

Learn more >>